Tuesday, March 10, 2009

(Un?)comfortably numb.

Apparently my school has scheduled one of our all-important state tests on the first day of Passover. Another teacher on my team in incensed. Apparently, because of our staffing, it was the only day they could do it to meet the state's deadline to get the tests back. Our town called the state to see if we could get an extension of a day or two and were told no.

So my team member, who keeps coming in to update me, has now called the superintendent, the town paper, and the ADL.

And I just don't care. I feel like I should care. I understand why she cares. But I just don't. If I was the type of person who didn't usually care about this stuff, I wouldn't think twice about the fact that I don't. But I usually am the type who, while I may not get as worked up as my team member, generally think it's important to respect different cultures and religions in this way. As one of, literally, the only Jewish students in my large high school growing up, I even tend to be pretty sensitive about that kind of thing, along with the quiet prejudices I hear and see around me. (And the loud ones. But I think a lot of people are sensitive to the loud prejudices.)

I am tired. And feeling a little numb lately, I think. So I just. don't. care. With a few notable exceptions, I feel like the things that would have elicited a strong reaction or feeling from me in the past just don't lately. I can't put my finger on what "lately" is, though. Is it just this week? The last month? Several months? Am I coming down with something? Should I stay home tomorrow to rest and ward it off? Or is it more of an emotional and spiritual ailment I have? I don't know the answer...

On a positive note, it's sunny out, I'm having a good hair day, and my jeans are the perfect length. Oh! And I'm wearing some of my Smartwool socks. Love those. :)


2 comments:

NanU said...

Hi, I just discovered your blog, via Aurel's Laurels, and I really like it.
A propos of this post, I think it's ok to not care sometimes. A person can't care about everything, all the time. It's too exhausting. And let's not care about feeling guilty about not caring. It's ok. You need that little vacation.

ciao,
N

Meinsideout said...

I hear you. I had a client yell at me today. I. don't. care. Not taking it home with me - there are so many other things in life to get worked up about.