Monday, March 2, 2009

Anticipating an announcement...

My one and only (official) nephew will turn one year old in exactly two weeks. My sister and I are not close. She lives on the other side of the country. We are extremely different in just about every way you could imagine (well, we both have brown eyes... but that's about it). I don't agree with a lot of choices she makes or a lot of the ways she chooses to deal with things, and I'd guess she feels the same way about me. In fact, she probably feels like I'm very judgmental of her, and to be completely honest, I probably am. I'm not sure where that comes from. My parents treat us very differently. They always tell me that isn't true and I'm interpreting it inaccurately- but after meeting my sister and seeing her interact with my family, III agrees. It validates how I feel, but doesn't make situations with her any easier.

But she is my only sibling. I am her son's legal guardian should something happen to her and her husband. I worry a bit about when we have kids- I don't think I want to make her and her husband our kids' guardians. We just don't have the same values or ways of life in most cases... III is totally against her as a guardian. And he's an only child, so when (if?) the occasion arises, it may be an issue in my family.

I digress. That wasn't what I planned this post to be about.

I'm just waiting for an announcement that she's pregnant with her second baby. I don't know if they are 'trying' yet. But I do know that she wants more kids. I'd guess, if they aren't yet, they'll start again in the next 3 months (making it so their kids are 2 years apart). When she got pregnant with my nephew (BJ), she called to tell me when she was 6 weeks pregnant. (That's when they told everyone... they didn't wait like some people choose to.) She complained about how they were trying and trying and everyone around them was getting pregnant and they were so frustrated, etc. etc. etc. I said "How long were you trying?" Three months. Seriously??? I wasn't even trying yet at that point, and I knew that wasn't a long time. Apparently my sister is like my mom, who can get pregnant whenever she wants to. I understand how when you're trying 3 months feels long, but knowing her sister-in-law went through infertility and had to do IVF... I don't know. Maybe I'm just being judgmental again... I can't even blame it on my own experience, because I felt that way when she told me, and we didn't know yet that we'd have trouble.

So I may be worrying about nothing (because maybe they aren't trying. Maybe they want to wait for BJ to be 3 before they have another...) but I dread the day I hear that they are once again pregnant.

KB is probably going to start trying as well- her plan is this summer. She always tells me "I really want you to get pregnant, but remember that since it took this long it means our babies will be even closer in age." Which would be fun. I think she's just trying to make me feel better, though, because I think she gets madder than I do when I get those negative blood tests. Before we started treatments, I was at her house one day and asked if she had a tampon I could have. When I came out of the bathroom, she said "I'm really pissed that you have your period, dammit!!!" LOL.

I'll definitely have a heads up with KB, though, because I'm sure she'll tell me when they do start trying. She got pregnant the first month they tried for her daughter (who is my 'unofficial' niece), so hopefully it will be that easy for them the second time around.

I'm not going to lie, though. I hope that by then, I'm pregnant.


No comments: