Wednesday, October 21, 2009

ICLW and peanut

I decided to participate in ICLW again this month- so if you are here from ICLW, Welcome! If you are one of my regular readers... welcome anyway! And if you're here from somewhere else... well... welcome! LOL

My husband (III) and I just celebrated our 3 year wedding anniversary. We have been TTC for 2 years and working with ART for just over a year. After 4 IUI cycles and 2 IVF cycles, we finally were successful. Briefly. Last month, I miscarried at 8w. Sadly, that same week we had to put our beloved B-dog to sleep after a battle with lymphoma. So it's been rough for us lately...

For a more detailed description of our TTC journey you can check out my history post.

*****************************************

Peanut is really settling in. Thank goodness! I thought III was going to give up on her. She still has plenty of energy, but she has restful spells between her spurts of energy and is sooooo cuddly. At the end of the day, she'll climb up on the couch next to me and curl up against me. She cuddles in as close as she can get. What a sweet girl.

The biggest problem is poop. (Warning... this is going to get detailed.) She has had diarrhea since day 1. The previous owners claimed she'd had "soft" poops since they got her. Well, that's understating what we've seen, plus some blood. :( Poor baby. I took her to the vet yesterday and she's down four pounds! That's only 10% of her body weight. :( :( :( Turns out she has roundworm. Ick. I'm glad we found what could be causing all of this, because it can be fixed, but... ick. I'm nervous about M-dog getting it. We have to pick up all of her poop as soon as she goes... but the consistency of it makes that tough. Not only that... but there may be WORMS in her poop. iiiiiiiicccccckkkkkkk.

The previous owners did have her stool tested, and supposedly it came back "clean". My vet said that can happen on any particular day. But wouldn't you think if she continued to have problems and stay so small they would check it again? Or deworm her anyway just in case? I don't blame the owners, but it just shows me that not all vets are created equal. The place I go is a little more expensive than the place I used to take my dogs, but if they can catch things like this and are more thorough, I'm willing to pay.

We start puppy school tomorrow and I'm excited. I'm looking forward to solidifying some of her training and bonding with her.

For today, I stayed home from school (shhhhhh), because I just needed to sleep and decompress alone. But I do have stuff I have to do since I'm here. I'm giving myself two hours to just sit on the couch and knit before I start on my list.

7 comments:

Katie said...

Good for you that you took a day off! I'm glad that Peanut doesn't have something serious. Good luck with puppy training!

Anonymous said...

She sounds like an adorable little dog. Hope she's better soon, and enjoy the puppy training.

Becky said...

My last boxer pup had the worms too. the medicine made it a yellow color, yuck! I had to pick up her poop for weeks and walk her on leash when she needed to 'do her business', wow good thing those days are over!

c by the sea said...

my pup has a sensitive tummy and gets loose poops fairly often. we give her boiled hamburger and white rice for a few days and it usually helps her feel better. just a thought while you are treating the worms.

what are you knitting these days?

irrationalexuberance said...

I'm with C -- rice is a really good way to stop things up (so to speak) while you are sorting out the worms thing (ick -- sorry). But it's great to hear that peanut is settling in and cuddly.

I think that the day off is a brilliant idea, and I hope you enjoyed the day.

michelle said...

Just a thought but check the amount of fiber in the food you are feeding her - some of the dog foods - I found it more often in the higher end foods - have much higher fiber contents and wow it made Marley have much softer poops. When I checked the fiber content it was 11% or 13% as opposed to her previous food which was 5% or 8%.

Good luck.....if it's not the food and your vet says she is OK - maybe try some cheese? Might help bind her up so to speak!

LM said...

I'm so sorry to read about your losses. Sometimes its good to stay home and be alone, but its also good to get up and keep living! Take care. ~L, ICLW